(CELT) Comprehensive English Language Test
The Comprehensive English Language Test (CELT) has earned an excellent reputation as a valid and reliable instrument for measuring English language proficiency for English as a second language (ESL). It is especially appropriate for high school, college and adult ESL programs at the intermediate and advanced levels.
Grade Range: High School through Adult
Administration: Individual or Group
Time: Approximately 2 hours 15 minutes
- Listening, Structure and Vocabulary tests measure important dimensions of second language learning.
- Each section is of sufficient length to yield reliable results.
- Authors are experienced test writers in the field of ESL.
- All items were pretested on large samples of students of diverse language backgrounds enrolled in intensive, college-level and high school ESL programs.
Student Percent-Correct Scores may be referenced against normative data for several reference groups:
- Foreign students admitted to an American university ESL program;
- Adult ESL students attending a language upgrading program in a community college;
- Francophone ESL students from Quebec;
- High school ESL students;
- Adult ESL students in an intensive language institute;
- Adult non-native speakers accepted for academic work.